Saturday, January 2, 2010

cake topper part 1

So I've been working on a cake topper, inspired by the following:

I did attempt to cover the base with fabric; it didn't work out, so I made a change of plans. But here are the original materials.

  • Small cardboard craft box. Found at craft stores.
  • Floral wire
  • White floral tape
  • Wire cutters
  • Embroidery floss in different colors
  • Charms of some sort
  • Acrylic paint
  • Brush/sponge
  • Hammer and nail
  • German glass glitter
  • Sealer spray
  • Ribbon
My first step was making the arch.

I twisted together three pieces of floral wire and wrapped it around the box to create the arch shape.

Then using a nail and hammer, I made two small holes for the arch.

I tested the arch and made adjustments. Next, I painted the base with three coats of white paint. On top of a Bebe catalog. That's definitely a requirement for this project.

After that, here's where it started to go a bit wrong. I forgot to buy glue for the glitter, so I googled around and found that I could apply the glitter directly to the paint. Well, I got silly and thought that meant I could mix the glitter in the paint..

I don't hate what happened, but it's not exactly glittery. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment