Wednesday, December 23, 2009

movie love



I was reading a post today about favorite love movies and realized I had totally ignored a huge part of my personality - weird movies!

I went through a phase in college where I bought Criterion Collection movies like they were a certain illicit substance and my last name was Lohan. This is how I came across The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

It's an amazing 1960s French musical and it's the saddest thing ever. It's all about love and missed opportunities. The main track, "I Will Wait for You," is ridiculously haunting, beautiful, and tragic. I'd play it at the ceremony, but I'm afraid everyone would need a Xanax afterward.



I bring this movie up because of its sets. They are bright, gorgeous things and the color combos -- whoa mama. They're great. I can't recommend this movie enough, if only for the stunning visual loveliness.

Then there's a little movie called Me and You and Everyone We Know. It has a precious line about pooping in each other's butts and it's seriously not disgusting in its original context. I swear.



Some of the dialogue is really fantastic, so fantastic, it could almost be a wedding vow. Like this:

"If you really love me, then let's make a vow. Right here... together... right now. Ok ? - Ok... - All right, repeat after me... I'm gonna be free. - I'm gonna be free. - And I'm gonna be brave... - I'm gonna be brave. - Good... I'm gonna live each day as if it were my last. - Oh that's good... - You like that ? - Yeah... - Say it. - I'm gonna live each day as it were my last... - Fantastically... - Fantastically. - Courageously... - Courageously. - With grace... - With grace. - And in the dark of the night, and it does get dark, when I call a name... - When I call a name... - It' ll be your name... What's your name ?
[no answer]
Nevermind... let's go... say it. - Let's go... - Everywhere... - Everywhere... - Even though... - Even though... - We're scared... - We're scared... - Cause it's life... - It's life... - and it's happening, it's really really happening... RIGHT NOW... "

Dece*, right?

Here's another, not necessarily for vows, but for YEAHs:

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

I'm sitting here now trying to think of other freaking amazing movie quotes, but I will spare you. Are movies inspiring your wedding at all?

*Dece (pronounced "dees") = decent

No comments:

Post a Comment