Monday, December 14, 2009

dior, fashion & weddings



For fun, I wanted to share some excerpts from Dior himself, via The Little Dictionary of Fashion, with some notes from me. It's always interesting to see what fashion geniuses think -- you don't have to agree 100 percent, but it's amusing nonetheless.

Accent
An accent is that little personal touch which makes a dress designed by a couturier your own dress. It is of great importance. With your feeling no one can do it better than you.

This is how I've started to approach wedding planning - yes, much of what I'm doing is unoriginal, but gosh darn it, it will still be mine.

Ball Gown
A ball gown is your dream, and it must make you a dream. And it is wonderful for morale.

Yes, I do indeed feel like a dream in mine.

Detail
I hate detail. I love accents or little touches but they must always be important-- not insignificant. The small detail is very cheap and not elegant at all.

I kind of love this. Wedding blogs love to harp on detail, but it always felt like a lot of little things to get bogged down in-- and so easy to lose sight about what the wedding is really about. Accents, not details!

Elegance
I will only say now that elegance must be the right combination of distinction, naturalness, care, and simplicity. Outside this, believe me, there is no elegance. Only pretension.

Elegance is not dependent on money.

Heck yes money can't buy style. Paris Hilton has been a great teaching moment for that. And Platinum Weddings..

Heels
Too high heels are vulgar and hideous-- and uncomfortable, I should imagine.

I won't call them hideous, but uncomfortable? Word.

Individuality
No elegant woman follows fashion slavishly.

Jewelry
To wear a big diamond on your finger only means that you have a lot of money-- it means nothing in elegance.

Depends on the diamond, for me.

Pink

It is the sweetest of all colors. It is the color of happiness and of femininity.

Duh.

Quality

Quality is essential to elegance. I will always put quality before quantity.

I.E. Prioritize your wedding, spend a lot on what matters to you, the rest doesn't matter. Forget the quantity of wedding "must-haves."

Xtravagance

The contrary of elegance. Elegance must be audacious but it can never be extravagant because extravagance is bad taste.

Zest
There is no beauty that is attractive without zest.

Is elegance the end-all for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment