Sunday, February 14, 2010

skinny on skincare

Now that I've hit the four month mark, I'm starting to get more serious about my skin.

Allow me to give you the background on my skin: I started breaking out after I graduated from college last summer and it got pretty ugly. My over the counter products were failing miserably.

Of course, this was all happening when I was unemployed for six months (thank you, recession). I had no idea if I still had health insurance (I did) and we couldn't afford the expense of going to a dermatologist. So I trudged around DC, poor and zitty.

After becoming gainfully employed though, I made a dermatologist appointment. The doctor described my acne as "mild" (going to disagree there a bit) and prescribed me a retinol  and a benzoyl peroxide. Those two things are the paladins of the zit crusade, healing and exorcising my face.

Things have definitely improved in the year I've been using the prescriptions, but I still deal with hormonal and stres-related break-outs. So even if you have mild or occasional acne, get thee to a dermatologist and then perhaps try some of these products too!

Philosophy Purity - Gentle and removes make-up. I found it was way too drying to use an acne-specific cleanser plus topical treatments, so I use this instead. Morning and night.

Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub - This is my once-a-day scrub but during the winter, every other day. It has Beta Hydroxy, which prevents pores from clogging and promotes skin shedding. Not too shabby.

Mario Badescu Drying Lotion - If you get a white head once in a while, this is probably the only product you need for acne. You apply it at night and the zit will be poofed by morning.

Philosophy Hope in a Jar - It's a super light moisturizer, absorbs quickly, and leaves my skin feeling smoooth.

Mario Badescu Wihitening Mask - It sounds a little sketch, right? I use it to gradually fade old acne scars.

Those are my basics. When I'm feeling fancy (read: not being lazy), I include these:

Clinique Clarifying Lotion - Toner. I'm prone to an oily T-zone, so I should really use this. But it's one extra step at 7 am I don't want to take regularly.

Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream - I remember to use this about twice a week. Perhaps in 30 years I will regret my eye cream nonchalance.

If I'm leaving the house, I add Clinque Super City Block SPF 40, because I might enjoy being pale.

So if you're dealing with acne, the best thing I did was visit my doctor. But all of these products have worked really well with my prescriptions. What are your favorite skin care products, particularly for acne?

1 comment: