Friday, April 16, 2010

Ceremony Muzak

For the ceremony music, we knew right away that we wanted to have Kirk's brother play. He's a jazz guitar student and insanely talented. So knowing there would be an electric guitar at our ceremony, it wasn't too hard picking out songs. Plus, our ceremony isn't in a church, so we've been free to be as secular as we want to be!

While people are being seated, Kirk's brother will play Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah." I love Leonard Cohen, but this version of the song is unbelievable. Yes, I am trying to make people cry as soon as they sit down.


Then I'll walk down the aisle to "The Wind." I think this song is about a journey (I hate explication), so it's apt for a walk to the biggest commitment of my life.

"I listen to the wind
to the wind of my soul
Where I'll end up well I think,
only God really knows"


When our lovely ceremony finishes, we'll walk back to "Wouldn't It Be Nice." I'm really hoping people spontaneously start singing along. At least I will.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do
We could be married
And then we'd be happy"


I'm the type of person that associates music with moments. If I hear a specific song, it triggers my memory and I'm sent back to freshman year of college in my dorm or a family road trip to Florida. So I'm really, really happy to have some of our favorite songs playing during the ceremony, for this reason.

Are you picking ceremony songs with special meaning or are you hoping to create new meanings for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment