Wednesday, March 31, 2010

why yes officer I have my registry


Kirk and I finished picking out the registry items by the time we sent out the save the dates, which has its pros and cons. One problem with registering early: our dishes and cordial glass designs at Crate and Barrel have been discontinued. They're available online still, but in limited quantities and I have no idea if people will buy them. I'm almost convinced I should just buy those myself, in case they run out! Suffice it to say, you run the risk of discontinued items when you're a little overeager about registering.

On the other hand, it was nice to work on the registry in chunks at my leisure. I looked at knives one day and bedding the next. I wasn't rushed to finish picking things out for an impending shower, so I really mulled over all the choices. Pros and cons, people!

Even though I had so much time, I was still stressed about one thing: price points. I'm from a very middle class Midwest background. The real or imagined threat of registering for an item that was "too much" was eating away at me. I don't want to look greedy but I also want things I'll use and like.

So I settled on this strategy: balance. I picked out a few high quality and essential items, like pots and pans, and then balanced the rest of the list with more affordable things. We went with the assumption that most people will want to spend about $50, some more, some less. So we populated the list with a lot of things that either as a set or alone cost about $50 and then peppered stuff in the price gaps. I even got my Midwestern mom's approval on the prices, so I think I did okay.

Did you have any strategies when you registered?

No comments:

Post a Comment