Sunday, November 29, 2009

a few words about fonts

I wanted to share a little bit about my program design because I love it lots and it only took a few minutes. The critical part for all of my paper products is the font.

I chose Leitura Display, a professional font set. For $50 I got three full fonts (including glyphs) and it makes all the difference in the world. Free fonts are awesome for novelty usage, like signs or labels, but become less than optimal while designing a full suite. For instance, a free font I tried had no apostrophe. That's trouble.

So I bought Leitura knowing I'd have some options - a solid serif and a cool novelty set.

I'm sticking with my one font family for consistency, but you can successfully mix two fonts without making your print products look like a jumbled mess. I'm always in favor of a sans serif and serif pairing and indeed my favorite one ever is Century Gothic and Garamond.

 
They're both extremely well-designed fonts standard on most computers. I highly encourage you using them if you're designing any of your paper products at home and can't invest in a professional font. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment